Thursday, July 14, 2011

Treasures at Kroger? Yep, of the Edible Kind

Well now you know, this blog isn't going to be only about Thrift Stores but how & where this Single Mom gets thrify at. Today I'm doing the Happy Dance (BLOG style) over my finds at Kroger the other day.

I just needed bread & maybe milk if it was on sale so I didn't even grab a cart or basket (that's how the boys know if I really mean a quick trip, IN/OUT) Dre usually will screech,
"No-huh!!!! it will not be quick, you grabbed a cart"
(B-U-S-T-E-D, when did my 10yr old get so observant & smart??  Well, since he misses the dirty clothes on his floor, it must be Selective Observance reserved only for mom's shopping habits

But I digress.... here's what I got & how much it cost at Kroger at Southport & Bluff (No, not the same day the lady locked her kids in the car & tried to fight the good Samaritan who tried to help them on the hottest day we've had so far)
  • Driscoll's Red Raspberries for $1, snagged 1 for homemade Raspberry Cheesecake Ice Cream (post & recipes to follow)
  • Kroger Cole Slaw mix $1 (gonna try "You're Talking Too Much's" recipe (click here for Cole Slaw recipe link) and she also has a recipe for some good ole Southern BBQ using a Boston Butt
  • (2) Loaves of  Kroger Value Brand Wheat Bread marked down to $.29/each (it's the freshest, fluffiest bread even though it was marked down)
  • Kroger Hot Dog Buns marked down to $.39 (we don't usually go through a whole pack before the go stale anyway so it was a bonus score)
  • Bakery French Bread loaf marked down to $.59 (had some of this with dinner tonight, using rest for a French Toast Strata that Sheila gave me a recipe for, LOVE You She-She)
  • (2) Half-Gallons of Kroger Brand Skim Milk $.75/each, normally we drink 2% but skim if just fine on cereal anyway
Total Spent $5.35, thank you Kroger & their Orange & Yellow markdown stickers makes the deals easier to spot!!

Shoppers Note: They did have a Boston Butt in the markdown meat section but it wasn't big enough so I would have to have another one so I passed it up this time. No other buy me deals for meat this time :(

The boys have already ate the 1st loaf of bread with Nutella & Jelly sandwiches, I made a tuna sandwich & that bread was tasty even for wheat.  (I'll share my cheap supplier for Nutella another day)

For those that care, here are the regular prices for the same items
Raspberries $3.49
1/2 Gallon Milk 1.75
Bread $.88
Buns $.99
French Bread $2.49
Cole Slaw $1.99
Regular Price Sub-Total $14.22 + $1.03/tax =$15.25
66% Off Sale and they're not even going out of business

(disclaimer--Kroger did not pay me to blog about them, but if they want to send me some gift cards or giveaway prizes, I'll take them)

1 comment:

  1. haha too funny! I love a little Kroger bargain shopping! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete